14 January 2013


Is there a charity that helps with time management because I desperately need some help. I would gladly donate way more than $10 to it for some assistance.

Every day about this time (it’s a little after 5 p.m.), I look at the clock and can’t believe how little I’ve gotten done on the long list of what I hoped to do.  I have never been a 9-to-5’er. It’s not my mentality to clock watch, but I sometimes envy people who know their work day will begin right at 9 a.m. and end right at 5 p.m. and they don’t have to think about it until the next morning.  It’s usually about this time that I’m wondering how I’m going to finish the story tonight that I promised someone they’d have by the end of the day (that means 11:59 p.m., right?) or I'm wondering if I can push back my plans for the evening so I can finish before I go out instead of having to get back to work when I come back home. 

But most of the time, I feel extremely lucky and blessed to work at something that gives me so much pleasure that I don’t care how many hours I’m working. I just wish I were more productive. 

This will come to no surprise to the people who actually know me, but I’m running late for a business meeting that is rolling over to a dinner. So for the first time, I’m randomly picking a charity. 

I actually googled “charities that teach time management” or something like that and a great site came up that listed a number of charities that offer on-the-job training. The top-rated charity was JobTrain, a Northern California-based non-profit that offers career counseling and job placement services. According to its website, 78% of its 2011 graduates found jobs. They specialize in working with many folks that employees traditionally shy away from, including the homeless and parolees. Anyone reading this have any knowledge of JobTrain? If so, please weigh in.

I promise to spend more time tomorrow...because I’m sure my dreams of better time management will kick in overnight. It works like that, right? 





No comments:

Post a Comment