05 September 2013

Burn out...



Confession time: I’ve hit a bit of a brick wall. I’m sure it will pass, but for the last few days the blog has felt like just one more thing I have to do; one more deadline to meet. 

I hate feeling that way. Today is Blog Post No.  248 and I can honestly say that even though I’m not always thrilled with how much time the blog takes, I generally enjoy writing it tremendously and I don’t have trouble coming up with something to write about.  It often feels like a sacred time for me and is sometimes the best part of my day. I get to find something out in the world to celebrate or to shine some light on. It’s a time that I forget about what’s going on with me and focus on the much bigger, and more important, world. 

But today, I’ve got nothing. My sister suggested yesterday’s topic and she came up with one for today. I feel a little like a car whose gas tank is on empty (not that I’d know how that feels).

I know it will pass because when I realize that I’m more than 2/3rd of the way done and that I’m starting to approach the home stretch, I start to get very sad. The other day, a friend asked me about writing my last blog on Dec. 31 and I couldn’t process that. 

The blog has become a wonderful part of my life... I just feel like I need a little respite. Even when I’m using the great guest blogs people have written (and I have some super ones coming up), I still have to find time to post. It’s a little daunting to think that by the time my little experiment ends, I will have not gone a single day without being on the computer for a full 365 days. No matter where I’ve been in the globe, I’ve found a way to post. I even convinced the techs at Apple's Genius Bar that they had to fix my computer immediately instead of overnight a few months ago because my first thought when they said they needed my Mac overnight was how would I get to blog? 

So excuse today’s whining. I’m sure I’ll discover something tomorrow that I can’t wait to write about.  

But in the meantime, I’m revisiting the ongoing Syrian crisis. It’s so horrible in every way, but the stories of the children in the refugee camps are untenable. Today’s $10 goes to the United National Refugee Agency. I know they’re controversial and there are people in refugee camps who feel the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (the governing body of  the UN Refugee Agency) is so mired in politics and red tape as to be ineffectual. When I reported from two Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon three years ago, they certainly felt that way, but I also believe they do some good and they are on the front lines of the Syrian humanitarian effort.


Click here to get “Causes and Effects” delivered every day to your email inbox (the subscription link now works) or enter your email in the top right corner.


No comments:

Post a Comment