24 February 2013


It’s Oscar Sunday! Shouldn’t it be some kind of holiday, especially for people on the east coast? Since the Academy Awards inevitable run long, it seems like we should get to take Monday off. Go ahead. You have my permission. Have your boss call me!

I love movies, especially my classic films from my favorite director, Billy Wilder. I’m a good Southerner, so“To Kill A Mockingbird” is my favorite movie (After at least 25 viewings, I still cry every time Rev. Sykes says, “Jean Louise, stand up. Your father’s passin’.”) After that though, the Wilder movies kick in, starting with “Double Indemnity,” “Sunset Blvd.,” and, perhaps one of the most cynical movies ever made, “Ace in the Hole” (or “The Big Carnival,” as it’s also known). Then, of course, there’s “Stalag 17,” “The Apartment,” and the devastating “The Lost Weekend.” I’m not as big a fan of “Some Like It Hot” as I probably should be.

My quick predictions for today are Best Picture: “Argo”; Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis; Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence; Best Director: Steven Spielberg; Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway; Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz (though he’s neck and neck with Tommy Lee Jones). I’m also counting on “Skyfall” winning best song, making it the first James Bond theme to ever win an Oscar (I know, I know — that seems crazy, doesn’t it?)

Echo Park Film Center in Los Angeles is an 11-year old media arts non-profit that offers free filmmaking classes for teens and seniors (love that!), low cost rental equipment, its own film festival highlighting local filmmakers and even operates a film mobile. Students attended EPFC have made more than 250 films. 

So today’s $10 goes to encourage the next Spielberg. I’ll bring the popcorn. 

What's your favorite movie? 



55 down, 310 to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment