11 March 2013


So here we are a little more than two months in to my year of giving and I have a story to share. 

When I started this blog, I wrote about how I’m a bit of a cheapskate. While giving away $3,650 wouldn’t put me in a financial bind where I would have to chose between paying rent or eating and giving away the money (unless something dire happened), it was a big sum to commit to at the beginning of the year, especially since, as a freelancer, I don’t have the same amount of money coming in every week that I can count on. And, sure enough, I’ve made certain decisions based on the fact that I know I have this chunk of change that I’m donating this year and I can’t spend it elsewhere. 

My sister gives away a lot of money. I don’t know exactly how much, but I know she takes her philanthropy very seriously and considers it a part of her stewardship, the rent she pays for being here on earth.  Her job ended in September and she’s transitioning into a new field. She casually mentioned to me that she had not decreased her giving even though she didn’t have a steady paycheck right now. She really believed that by continuing to provide for those less fortunate that she would be taken care of. This was a theory that had borne itself out over and over throughout her life.  I like and respect it and it also plays into the freedom from financial fear that I’m trying to achieve by giving money away. 

I also consider this year an exercise in faith that I will be taken care of no matter what develops, but I won't necessarily know what that looks like and it may look very different than how I envisioned it. When I find myself getting anxious and I go through a rare bout of anxiety, usually triggered by something that's happened to someone else and I'm scared will happen to me, I try to just breathe through it and realize that at this exact moment I am fine and that's all I have control over.

At the beginning of the year, I got a notice that my health insurance premium was increasing again. Since I became self-employed, like many people, I have an individual policy. I’ve never hit my deductible in the six years I’ve had the policy. I have no complaints about my care, which has been excellent. My concern has been that my premium has gone up so much that I was becoming worried about how I was going to continue to pay it if it kept increasing at the same percentage. But I started the blog and the giving anyway. 

A few weeks ago, I got a notice out of the blue from my insurance broker, who suggested a way to lower my premium. I filled out some paper work, and a few days later, I heard back that my monthly deductible has dropped by $293 a month. If you take $293 and multiply that by 12, you get $3,516. My commitment to giving for the year for this project is $3,650.  Coincidence? Maybe, but I think not..... The universe is always listening. 

Today’s $10 goes to the Venice Family Clinic here in Los Angeles. Founded in 1970 as a single location, The Venice Family Clinic now operates seven sites throughout the west side. Of the nearly 25,000 people treated at the clinic annually, almost 75% are uninsured. More than 500 physicians donate their time to the clinic. The Venice Family Clinic is a crown jewel in Los Angeles. 



Click here to get “Causes and Effects” delivered every day to your email inbox (the subscription link now works) or enter your email in the top right corner. 

70 down, 295 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment