13 March 2013


I’m in Santa Barbara on an assignment. I got here in time to take myself out to dinner. I was at my table watching the sun set over the harbor when I heard slow shuffling behind me and along came an elderly couple, who were seated across from me. 

I wasn’t paying attention to them until I heard the man tell the waitress they were celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary.  His bride was smartly dressed in a black pants, stripped shirt, and a black jacket, which had a corsage attached to the lapel, as if she were going to the prom. He was dressed much more casually. I couldn’t hear much of their conversation other than I heard him call her “honey.” She stood his anniversary card to herit had cartoon penguins on it holding hands — up beside her glass of wine. They chatted quietly, clearly enjoying each other’s company, and any silences seemed natural as opposed to because they’d run out of things to say. 

I was transfixed. I have dated some wonderful men. I’m still friends with most of my ex-boyfriends. But as much as I adored them, I don’t know if I could have ever made it to 65 years with any of them. And now I’ll never know what that’s like. Even if I got married tomorrow (and Santa Barbara's magical, but not that magical), I’m too old to get to 65 years with someone. 

It made me happy, and a little wistful, to watch them...so at ease with each other and yet still so respectful. The one thing I have learned from couples who have survived together for decades is that, even more than love, they have a mutual respect and like for each other. One of my favorite couples still looks at each other attentively when the other one tells a story that you know the spouse has heard so many times already.  There’s a kindness there that manifests itself simply by still being polite to each other. I left before the anniversary couple did, but I would bet my last dollar that he opened the car door for her.   

As I walked back to my hotel, the moon was up, the stars were out, and the water was gently lapping up against the shore. I thought about the couple and said a little blessing that they enjoy whatever time they have left with each other in good health. And then I wished upon a star that whatever magic they found with each other rains down a little on the rest of us who are still searching. 

When I’m traveling, I like to give to a local charity. My loving couple’s 65th anniversary wasn’t the only big news of the day: today we got a new Pope, so today’s $10 goes to St. Vincent’s Santa Barbara, a Catholic-run organization. St. Vincent’s, which has been around a lot longer then 65 years, provides services to underserved families and senior citizens, including transitional housing for single mothers, child care, and affording housing for low-income seniors over 62. They also operate a food pantry. 



Click here to get “Causes and Effects” delivered every day to your email inbox (the subscription link now works) or enter your email in the top right corner. 

72 down, 293 to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment