25 April 2013




Yesterday, I posted about the David Henneberry Crowdtilt Fund. Henneberry is the Watertown, Mass., boat owner who found the second Boston Marathon bombing suspect injured and bleeding in the bottom of his boat last Friday. 

After the police riddled his boat with bullets, a fund was started to raise money to fix or buy Henneberry a new boat and I contributed $10 to it yesterday. 

However, Henneberry told CNN affiliate WCVB  that he doesn’t want the money spent on him.  If you didn’t already love him already for his role in helping police find Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, his graciousness in the comment below will tip you over the edge: "It makes me feel wonderful that people that are thinking like that, but it is my boat. People lost lives and lost limbs. I'd rather that (the money) go to the One Fund Boston. To buy me a new boat is a wonderful thing, I don't want that, really. I would wish that they donate it to the One Fund Boston. They lost limbs. I lost a boat.”

So we’ll do what Henneberry says. We already donated the money to his Crowdtilt Fund, but that may never be deducted from my account if the fund doesn’t reach a certain amount. Today we’re donating $10 to One Fund Boston and if we end up getting the $10 back from Henneberry’s boat fund, we’ll throw that in the One Fund Boston pot as well. 

And someone else is donating way more than $10 to the One Fund: as you may have heard, Neil Diamond sung "Sweet Caroline" at a Boston Red Sox game over the weekend since the team had long made his classic part of their game ritual. Digital download sales of "Sweet Caroline" soared afterward and Diamond, instead of keeping a dime, is donating all of his royalties to One Fund Boston. Now I'm feeling lots of love for both Henneberry and Diamond!



Click here to get “Causes and Effects” delivered every day to your email inbox (the subscription link now works) or enter your email in the top right corner.

115 down, 250 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment