02 November 2013

Horse Sense


I spend much of today at The Breeder’s Cup at Santa Anita Park. It was probably the third time I’ve been to a horse race. The whole culture fascinates me. While I’m not sure how I feel about the humanity of the sport as a whole, I do know that the horses at this level are treated better than I’ll ever be and, man, they are gorgeous.

Maybe this happens at every race, but before the Breeder’s Cup races, the horses and jockeys parade around in front of the racetrack in a very small circle. It’s as close as you’re going to get to them and they were some of the most magnificently beautiful creatures I’ve ever seen. 

Like most girls, I went through a horse stage. For many of us, it’s the last stage before we get interested in boys and it definitely involves reading “Misty Of Chincoteague.” I also put together models of horses and my mom indulged me and took me to see the Lipizzaner Horses at Dorton Arena in Raleigh. I was probably around 10. I seemed to grow out of it as quickly as I fell into it but I loved them mightily for awhile. 

Today was as much about the fascinators and other hats as the racing and it was a much different atmosphere and crowd than  I usually find myself in. 

Since I’m in a horsey frame of mind, and it seems like I have been for the last several days in terms of the some of the charities I’ve selected, today’s $10 goes to the Equus Foundation (aka Horse Charities of America).  Equus Foundation give grants to charities that are improving the lives of horses and the people who benefit from them through equine therapies and activities. 



Click here to get “Causes and Effects” delivered every day to your email inbox (the subscription link now works) or enter your email in the top right corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment