23 June 2013


“May we not hold on to the things we want freedom from.” 

That’s a prayer I heard today and I’ve been thinking about it all day. I cling so desperately to the very things that I think I am so eager to discard. 

I guess it’s human nature, but it’s part of mine that I’d like to get rid of. These things are so ingrained in me now that they feel like part of my overall essence and I guess I don’t know what would happen if I let go of them.  I’m being deliberately vague here for two reasons: I’m not brave enough to go into specifics, and I imagine everyone has their own things they’d like to let go of, so I’ll just let you fill in your own here. 

It all comes down to fear, doesn’t it? Fear that if we let go, what happens next could be even scarier. 

In the past, I’ve taken on some challenge that I wasn’t sure I could do and tested myself that way. I got certified for scuba diving; I completed a half marathon. Each time, I tackled something that I would have not thought possible for myself and after completing that, I realized that trying to limit myself in any way was doing myself such a disservice. Maybe it’s time to do something like that again to prove to myself that I can bust through a fear and can, therefore, let go of these other things. Feel free to join me.

Today’s $10 goes to NYC Outward Bound Schools, a network of more than public 300 schools that primarily focuses on underserved communities and utilizes Outward Bound’s model to challenge and prepare kids through adventures and team building. 



Click here to get “Causes and Effects” delivered every day to your email inbox (the subscription link now works) or enter your email in the top right corner.


No comments:

Post a Comment